Cruise Travel Talk Home
 

Search
   
Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
Please login or register for the full featured version of Cruise Travel Talk

Cruise Travel Talk > Promenade Deck - Ports of Call > Western Caribbean > Honduras president opens Roatán Town Center


Honduras president opens Roatán Town Center
 Moderated by: The Crusher, Speedy Gonzales, Michigan J Frog, Marvin Martian, Henery Hawk, Foghorn Leghorn  

New Topic

Reply

Printer Friendly
AuthorPost
shoreguy
Charter Member


Joined: Sun Jun 25th, 2006
Location: Sunshine State Of Mind
Posts: 14222
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 Posted: Thu Feb 26th, 2009 09:44 pm1st Post

PM

Quote

Reply
 





Honduras president opens Roatán Town Center
26/2/2009
Honduras President Manuel Zelaya led a host of dignitaries at the grand opening of Roatán port’s Town Center, a project with the participation of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
Four buildings and three acres of transportation facilities now provide duty-free retail, entertainment, restaurants and bars, along with other amenities on a pedestrian-friendly waterfront.
The ribbon cutting marked the completion of the first phase of a two-phase development. Additional buildings will be constructed in the next phase to accommodate commercial demands.
The new Town Center springs from a partnership among RCCL, the municipality of Roatan and the Honduras Institute of Tourism.
Also on hand for the ribbon cutting were Jerry Hynds, congressman for the Bay Islands of Honduras, National Congress president Roberto Micheletti, vice minister of tourism Paula Bonilla, Roatán Mayor Dale Jackson and Royal Caribbean’s John Tercek, vp commercial development, and Miguel Reyna, manager commercial development.







____________________

Next up: Norwegian Breakaway August 10th Bermuda

‎"Wine cheers the sad, revives the old, inspires the young, makes weariness forget his toil."
Lord Byron
hstrybuf
Founders


Joined: Sat Jun 17th, 2006
Location: Little House On The Prairie, Kansas
Posts: 23567
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 Posted: Thu Feb 26th, 2009 11:48 pm2nd Post

PM

Quote

Reply
It sounds like so many ports in the Caribbean. Maybe they wanted a little of the action too.



____________________
Deb
Perfect love sometimes does not come until the first grandchild. ~ Welsh Proverb

http://community.webshots.com/user/hstrycrsr
JenDalessan
Super Cruiser


Joined: Sun Jul 29th, 2007
Location: Western New York
Posts: 2523
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 12:40 am3rd Post

PM

Quote

Reply
it's a sad day....

nhrich
MVP Cruiser


Joined: Thu Jun 29th, 2006
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 7688
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 11:27 am4th Post

PM

Quote

Reply
JenDalessan wrote: it's a sad day....
Yes it is.  Just another port that's going to look like all of the others.  Hopefully passengers will still go outside the port area, and not just spend all their time at DI and the likes.



____________________
Rich, ACC
Carefree Vacations
Clayton, NC
http://www.carefree-vacations.net
JenDalessan
Super Cruiser


Joined: Sun Jul 29th, 2007
Location: Western New York
Posts: 2523
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 12:17 pm5th Post

PM

Quote

Reply
nhrich wrote: JenDalessan wrote: it's a sad day....
Yes it is.  Just another port that's going to look like all of the others.  Hopefully passengers will still go outside the port area, and not just spend all their time at DI and the likes.


Exactly.  Personally I cringe at DI and would never even set foot in there.  Last week the manager of the Roatan DI sent an email out letting the residents know that they are welcome to shop there too.  That must be good news to people who live on less than $200 a week.  :flamin:

It's a beautiful island and it has plenty of room for growth.  I wish the goverment was not so greedy and could take a big picture view and develop a plan.  Instead they allow sporadic "growth" based on the highest bidder.  I cringe to think of what it will be like in 10 years. 

Retired not Expired
MVP Cruiser


Joined: Tue Jul 24th, 2007
Location: Branson, Missouri USA
Posts: 3472
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 12:25 pm6th Post

PM

Quote

Reply
They are building cattle ships now.   They may as well build feeder lot ports.

Load em up, move em out.



____________________
I Have The Body of A God....Too Bad It's Buddha

Burn the good candles, use the good sheets, eat off the good china......TODAY IS SPECIAL

I feel like the whole world is a computer, and I run a floppy disc.
JenDalessan
Super Cruiser


Joined: Sun Jul 29th, 2007
Location: Western New York
Posts: 2523
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 12:36 pm7th Post

PM

Quote

Reply
Did you guys know that there are about 100 children that arrive in Coxen Hole to greet the cruise ships each time they arrive?  They are beggers sent there by their parents who are most likely on drugs.  The children are "arrested" and taken away from the port for the day.  These begging children were an issue with the cruiselines and it was fully discussed as they negotiated terms. 

I was at a board meeting in Nashville with the group that runs the Sandy Bay orphanage and we got got on a conference call with the assistant mayor of Roatan.  She wanted us to agree to receive, entertain and feed these children each cruise ship day.  Of course the city did not want to supply a dime toward the effort so the talk ended there. 

Roatan really doesn't care much about it's own people.  It's an island of "every man for himself' and cowboy justice prevails. 

Catnip
Charter Member


Joined: Mon Jun 19th, 2006
Location: Northeast Florida
Posts: 23099
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 Posted: Sat Feb 28th, 2009 05:10 pm8th Post

PM

Quote

Reply
JenDalessan wrote:

Roatan really doesn't care much about it's own people.  It's an island of "every man for himself' and cowboy justice prevails. 


That's very, very sad.  :(



____________________
49 previous cruises..
Next up: no cruises till the fall! WTF?

Life is a circus
and I'm stuck in the freak tent

Proud non-member of the O-Crew and FOMT

Catnip
Charter Member


Joined: Mon Jun 19th, 2006
Location: Northeast Florida
Posts: 23099
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 Posted: Sat Feb 28th, 2009 05:11 pm9th Post

PM

Quote

Reply
Retired not Expired wrote: They are building cattle ships now. 

Load em up, move em out.


Indeed.  And, imho, a shame. 



____________________
49 previous cruises..
Next up: no cruises till the fall! WTF?

Life is a circus
and I'm stuck in the freak tent

Proud non-member of the O-Crew and FOMT

mrdawson
MVP Cruiser


Joined: Sun Sep 17th, 2006
Location: The Belly Of The Liberal Beast, San Fran, Liechtenstein
Posts: 7995
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 Posted: Sat Feb 28th, 2009 05:42 pm10th Post

PM

Quote

Reply
JenDalessan wrote: nhrich wrote: JenDalessan wrote: it's a sad day....
Yes it is.  Just another port that's going to look like all of the others.  Hopefully passengers will still go outside the port area, and not just spend all their time at DI and the likes.


Exactly.  Personally I cringe at DI and would never even set foot in there.  Last week the manager of the Roatan DI sent an email out letting the residents know that they are welcome to shop there too.  That must be good news to people who live on less than $200 a week.  :flamin:

It's a beautiful island and it has plenty of room for growth.  I wish the goverment was not so greedy and could take a big picture view and develop a plan.  Instead they allow sporadic "growth" based on the highest bidder.  I cringe to think of what it will be like in 10 years. 

 

I know you work with orphanages Jen and know a lot about these ares but unless your post is a typo $200 a week is upper class in most 3rd world countries.



____________________



So many Pots....so few spoons!!!!

CTT Master Pot Stirring Advisor

JenDalessan
Super Cruiser


Joined: Sun Jul 29th, 2007
Location: Western New York
Posts: 2523
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 Posted: Sat Feb 28th, 2009 05:49 pm11th Post

PM

Quote

Reply
mrdawson wrote: JenDalessan wrote: nhrich wrote: JenDalessan wrote: it's a sad day....
Yes it is.  Just another port that's going to look like all of the others.  Hopefully passengers will still go outside the port area, and not just spend all their time at DI and the likes.


Exactly.  Personally I cringe at DI and would never even set foot in there.  Last week the manager of the Roatan DI sent an email out letting the residents know that they are welcome to shop there too.  That must be good news to people who live on less than $200 a week.  :flamin:

It's a beautiful island and it has plenty of room for growth.  I wish the goverment was not so greedy and could take a big picture view and develop a plan.  Instead they allow sporadic "growth" based on the highest bidder.  I cringe to think of what it will be like in 10 years. 

 

I know you work with orphanages Jen and know a lot about these ares but unless your post is a typo $200 a week is upper class in most 3rd world countries.


Good catch- I meant $200 a month.   That's about average there. 


 Current time is 01:03 am




WowUltra 1.15 Copyright © 2007-2008 by Jim Hale
Page processed in 0.2539 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 32 queries executed.